Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Dept. of What Were They Thinking



This vintage 1911 photo from a city I adore, Savannah, Georgia, shows Klein's Restaurant at 116 Whitaker Street.

This closeup shows Klein in front of his restaurant/deli with his pooch.



Flipping it over, you can see that Klein himself is telling someone in Middletown, PA that "business is on the boom!"



I found absolutely nothing online about this place or Klein. Today, this is what remains at the same spot:



Other than a small architectural detail at the roofline, all interesting portions of the building have been obliterated. I can only shake my head and wonder why. As they say, "Time marches on," but did it have to be so brutal?!?

Today, Whitaker Street still has a number of thriving businesses, including Sweet Carolina Cupcakes, which is about a block or so away from Klein's former restaurant.



I may have to eat one of these to get over the loss of this cool storefront.



Follow my Daveland updates on Twitter and view my most recent photos on Flickr. See more vintage & current Savannah, Georgia photos on my Savannah web pages.

1 comment:

Matt Hunter Ross said...

Lived in Savannah for a few years, and miss it. Klein's probably would've easily survived in the now tourist haven, if it didn't look like a cardboard box. I'll never understand the American "tear-down-rebuild" mentality.

Thanks for sharing!