Friday, July 25, 2014

Happy Anniversary, Ernie!



55 years ago today, the Ernset S. Marsh (aka #4) took its inaugural run around Disneyland, with none other than Walt Disney himself acting as Chief Engineer. Built by Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1925, it was named after the Santa Fe Railroad President. Previously it had served the Puritan River Sand Company in New Jersey. Disneyland was definitely a move up!

Walt always looks happiest when he is with his trains; once again, the hat askew is so awesome to see!



I can only surmise that the Marsh is not run as frequently as some of the other Disneyland locomotives, as my collection of images is fairly sparse. Here are two shots from December 1960:



Zooming in to see the bromance:



And the view from down below:



I hope they didn't get reprimanded for taking a long break!



I am embarrassed to admit that the most recent shots I have of ol' Ernie at the Main Street Train Station are from 2009!





From 2008 at the Frontierland/New Orleans Square Depot:



Back one more year for this 2007 Fantasyland/ToonTown Depot view:



Finishing Ernie's Anniversary Grand Circle Tour, I have two from the Tomorrowland Depot, starting off with a 1969 view:



and one from 2008:



I know the next time I go to Disneyland, I'll be hunting down ol' Ernie for some new photos! Happy Anniversary, #4!

See more Disneyland Railroad at my main website.

2 comments:

K. Martinez said...

To me, the railroad and steam locomotives are the soul of Disneyland. I love the fifth image of the Ernest S. Marsh waiting over the west entrance tunnel. Beautiful! Thanks, Dave.

CoxPilot said...

The cars pulled by #4 were the best! The were open and you could enjoy the wonders of the park with a clear and unobstucted view. I'm glad not everything is lost from the early days.