Monday, April 06, 2015

July 1959 Gems



Two beauties from a golden period in Disneyland history, July 1959. Taken from a Skyway bucket, this first shot could yield a number of close crops that would be gems in their own right. How about this happy kid soaking in all of the Park below him? Looks like he could almost reach out and grab the Richfield Autopia Eagle on the left!



I am fascinated by shots that show the inside of the Skyway stations; watching the buckets go around for another loop around the Park gets me every time! Here's the Tomorrowland Station:



Over in Fantasyland, it appears that the Park is packed to the gills!



This is before Pinocchio joined the dark rides of Fantasyland and the Mickey Mouse Club Theater kept guests entertained…and air conditioned!



Find more vintage July 1959 Disneyland shots at my main website.

3 comments:

K. Martinez said...

I remember sitting on my mother's lap with my sister on the other seat while we were riding the round Skyway bucket back in 1963/64. Wonderful images today. Thanks, Dave.

Fifthrider said...

I too was always fascinated by the skyway buckets always going in circles. I had no idea it would be a metaphor for how the rest of my life was destined to go.

Sean and Kim Smith said...

Wish they would have brought back the Skyway for the 60th anniversary celebration!